Pages

Sunday 5 May 2019

Recommended to Heaven


   
               

Years ago I heard a talk where it was suggested that we all adopt a saint. Someone to ‘have our backs’ and pray for us. A condition was added; that we should have something in common with them.

All the sweet ladies could pick St Therese of Lisieux, the clever might go for St Alphonsus, the reformed hell raisers St Augustine perhaps. What was disturbing was that I couldn’t find a saint who fit my profile; surely heaven must have one nutter !

I eventually landed with a different idea. I’d hitch my wagon to the holy souls. Whilst not being the brightest stars in the sky they were on their way, their course was set, they had decided for God and were little by little headed in the right direction. I would pray for them and when they arrive in heaven they can pray for me.

No one goes to heaven alone, we must be recommended, and it can only be those whom we have helped get there first.






No comments: