Pages

Friday 30 January 2009

Nobody's Friend











My name is Gossip.

I have no respect for justice.
I maim without killing.
I break hearts and ruin lives.

I am cunning and malicious
and gather strength with age.

The more I am quoted
the more I am believed.

My victims are helpless.
They cannot protect themselves against me
because I have no name or face.

To track me down is impossible.
The harder you try,
the more elusive I become.
I am nobody's friend.

Once I tarnish a reputation,
it is never the same.
I topple governments
and wreck marriages.

I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights,
heartaches and indigestion.
I make innocent people cry in their pillows.

Even my name hisses.
I am called Gossip.
I make headlines and headaches.

Readers,
before you repeat a story,
ask yourself:
Is it true?
Is it harmless?
Is it necessary?
If it isn't, don't repeat it.

No comments: