Pages

Saturday 2 June 2018

A visit to the Library...a Medjugorje story



I had first heard of Medjugorje by what you might call a supernatural experience. I was in the library with my 8 year old son looking for books when I heard something in my head say to me "medjugorje", but I wasn't sure exactly what it said or what it meant. I looked at my son and said, "I just have to type something in this computer log to see what it means". I didn't know how to spell it of course and typed in something like "medjew...". I don't even remember the rest, when a list of books came up and one was highlighted. It said "Visions of the Children" by Janice Connell, with a small note that it was about children who were seeing the Blessed Mother.

I couldn't believe it.....I hurriedly wrote the number down and rushed to the aisle. There it was, sitting on the shelf with a picture of the Blessed Mother on it. I grabbed it and ran out of there. I took it home and sat it on the table where it sat all afternoon. When my husband came home I told him what happened and asked him if he would watch my son that evening while I started to read it. He did, and I started to read it. I didn't get very far when I started sobbing. I knew it was real. I cried my eyes out. I knew that somehow I was meant to read it and I wasn't even through the first chapter. 

My whole life changed in that moment of time. I remember feeling loved, sorry for everything I had ever done, and wanting to be near Our Lady so bad it hurt. I knew it was true, and that it was going on in my time was unbelievable. I was a Catholic who hadn't been to church in 20 years but had always loved Our Lady and especially when I was a child. I remember loving her so much. I remember watching Our Lady of Fatima and crying because I wanted to see her so bad myself. As I grew up, I grew away, farther and farther. I had done things I never wanted to admit to myself and was ashamed every time I walked into a church. 

My husband was so curious to my reaction to this book that he wanted to read it also. He did and when he was done told me we were going, somehow, some way. I couldn't get it out of my head, it consumed me day and night. All I could do was pray. I started saying my rosary again right away and started (trying!) to fast every Wednesday and Friday. My life had changed. 

Well, long story short, somehow we did get over there, the whole family, in June 1996 for the 15 year anniversary. God was so good to us. The feeling inside was one of complete joy. My husband took it all in like a child with a total abandon of himself. Vicka prayed over my 8 year old and both of us. My husband cried like a baby. I couldn't believe how touched we all were at different times. It was more than I could have ever hoped or prayed for. Everything I do, I think of her and Jesus and give thanks every day for knowing that no matter how far we think we are from God, truly as Our Lady says in Medjugorje, He is always with us and watches over us.

No comments: